The Ludwig Forum für Internationale Kunst has a permanent vacancy for a part-time deputy director (m/f/d) with 19.5 hours per week. The position is open to applicants with a university degree in the fields of: Art history, art studies, cultural studies, museology/museum studies or an equivalent university degree. Ideally with several years of professional experience in the field of exhibitions (museums and comparable art institutions or freelance activities for art foundations, etc.). The junior deputy directly supports Director Eva Birkenstock and Deputy Director Dr. Annette Lagler in scientific and organizational matters.
The Ludwig Forum für Internationale Kunst Aachen is an exhibition center for international contemporary art. It is based on the collection of Peter and Irene Ludwig, comprising key works of global art from 1960 to the present. The Ludwig Forum’s collection is at the heart of an exhibition, event and education program that is as polyphonic, diverse, and transdisciplinary as possible.
Applications will be accepted until November 30, 2021.
Applications until: November 30, 2021
Deputy Director “Ludwig Forum für Internationale Kunst” (m/f/d)
Apply online now
The Ludwig Forum für Internationale Kunst has a permanent vacancy, to be filled as soon as possible, for the position of Deputy Director “Ludwig Forum für Internationale Kunst” (m/f/d) on a part time basis consisting of 19.5 hours of work per week.
Your main duties and responsibilities
- Represent the directorate in all communication matters with museums and their administrations’ various players (m/f/d), as well as with representatives (m/f/d) of the press, the foundation, sponsors and other collaborations and partnerships
- Represent the directorate in personnel management matters
- Support the directorate in the implementation of all of the institution’s artistic programs as well as the exhibition program and research projects in particular, including preparation of funding applications
- Comprehensive development and handling of the institution’s exhibition formats including conceptualization, academic editing, budgeting, exhibition installations, etc.
- Academic supervision of specific areas of the collection and professional support of the collection’s inventory
- Publication management incl. print product control as well as partial management of the supporting program and events related to temporary exhibitions and presentations of the collection
- Supervision of repairs and renovation projects
What you will bring to the team
- A completed university degree in the fields of: art history, art theory and cultural studies, museology/museum studies or an equivalent university degree
- Ideally, several years of professional experience in the field of exhibitions (museums and comparable art institutions or freelance work for art foundations, etc.)
- Willingness to lead and the ability to motivate and inspire employees (m/f/d) with an integrative and cooperative leadership style
- Verifiable academic publication activity
- Profound knowledge of the field of international contemporary art
- Good MS Office skills
- Very good command of English
- Communication skills and a high level of social competence even in difficult negotiations with third parties
- A high level of personal commitment and initiative, especially in the acquisition of knowledge in new subject areas within the arts
- Structured and independent working methods in addition to assertiveness and persuasiveness
- Completed doctorate in the following subject areas: art history, art studies, cultural studies, museology/museum studies or a comparable subject area
- Experience networking with artists, gallery owners, and museum colleagues
- Working for the second largest employer in the region
- Responsibility and the opportunity to actively contribute to shaping the institution
- Fair and respectful working conditions
- Continuing education and training for professional and personal development
- Compatibility of work and family life
- Flexitime and flexible working time models
- Public transport ticket ”Jobticket”
- An innovative fleet of vehicles
- Supplementary contributions to the occupational pension scheme
- Comprehensive occupational health and safety management
- Secure employment with a permanent position contract
- Vacation entitlement of 30 days for a 5-day week
It is possible to fill the position with part time staff on the condition that staffing is ensured within the framework of the target working hours (19.5 hours). Respective working hours for part time staff would then be determined in consultation with management.
The selection process for filling the position consists of a pre-selection process and a subsequent selection procedure.
Applications are online. In exceptional cases applications may be submitted by post.
City of Aachen
Department of Personnel, Organization, E-Government and Information Technology,
FB 11/210 – Attn Ms Kuckelkorn, 52058 Aachen
Reference: E 49/1 LuFo-2021-000905
Part time / Full time: Part time
Time limit: Unlimited
Hours per week: 19.5 hours
Remuneration: EG 13 TVöD
0049 (0)241 432-4900
0049 (0)241 432-11213