Media, marketing and communication (m/f/d) at the Ludwig Forum Aachen
Aachen is a European City and a city of science of approx. 260,000 residents; it is both innovative and aware of tradition, and shaped by its rich history. Top-class universities and research institutes, the great European legacy and its location at the German border with the Netherlands and Belgium all give Aachen a cosmopolitan and international character. Aachen is one of five digital model regions in NRW. With about 6,000 employees, the City of Aachen is the largest municipal employer in the border region. Those who work for the municipal administration actively help shape life in Aachen. The City of Aachen boasts a diverse array of museums based on civic involvement.
At the earliest possible date, the position of handling “media, marketing and communication” (m/f/d) in the Ludwig Forum für Internationale Kunst division of the Kulturbetrieb (the culture-related municipal undertaking) is to be filled. This is a full-time position, initially limited to a time period of two years. Permanent employment is envisaged in the future.
The Ludwig Forum für Internationale Kunst is a museum for international, contemporary art. As the headquarters of a global museum family, in addition to special exhibitions, it presents artworks from the world-famous art collection of Peter and Irene Ludwig, with key works of the German and Western European postwar period, as well as significant collections of American art from the 1960s onwards. In addition, the museum houses one of the most comprehensive collections of contemporary art from Cuba, contemporary art from China, and art from Soviet Russia, the former Soviet republics and from Central and Eastern Europe. Its transdisciplinary program combines solo and group exhibitions with research projects, conferences, film screenings, music and dance festivals and other educational activities to continuously expand and re-contextualize its collections in close dialogue with its diverse audience.
The press/marketing/communication department is responsible for museum communication, and serves as the interface between the museum and the public. Working independently and responsibly, the position assumes a range of tasks that usually need to be completed by a deadline and mainly require close coordination with those responsible for other departments and projects, specifically with the director and the curators.
- Creating and maintaining the media network
- Communication (conveying complex content in a scholarly manner) with media representatives and authors, and coordination of media inquiries (related to exhibitions)
- Drafting specialized texts on contemporary art and art theory in two languages (German and English)
- Editing and copy-editing specialized texts in at least two languages (German and English)
- Supporting and preparing scholarly publications, in particular checking translations and drafting translations
- Preparing and revising target group-oriented texts such as press releases and newsletters
- Creating press reports; coordinating mailings about the museum’s offers
- Image research and clarifying image rights and credits; incl. concept development, coordination and execution of public relations work, esp. for communicating and marketing the museum’s activities
- Developing, steering and executing marketing concepts
- Developing communication strategies for maintaining the museum website, developing project-specific editorial strategies for the Ludwig Forum’s social media accounts, and communication of the content to the social media department of the Kulturbetrieb (the culture-related municipal undertaking)
- A completed academic university degree (Master, Magister or Diploma) in contemporary art, culture or journalism, or some other suitable completed academic university degree with a focus on humanities or communications studies
- Relevant work experience of several years in the PR and marketing sector in cultural institutions, scientific institutions or foundations
- Experience in the specialized field of contemporary, modern art and in the world of institutional museums and exhibitions
- Specialized experience and knowledge of copyright law, publishing rights and reproduction rights
- Experience in the field of event organization and in working academically
- Very good knowledge of the local, national and international media landscape
- Proven ability to communicate complex and sensitive topics for the respective specific media or recipients understandably and attractively
- Passion for and a network in the contemporary art and culture scene
- Above-average sensibility for image, language and text
- Secure handling of content management systems, secure and innovative handling of Office applications, social media and other current communication media
- Knowledge of software typical for administration (Word, Excel, etc.), as well as secure handling of SAP and data base systems (e.g. MuseumPlus)
- Confident and skillful demeanor and good communication skills
- fluent in English, both written and spoken
- Intercultural competency
- Command of another foreign language, e.g. French or Dutch
- Experience in image, audio and video processing
- Good knowledge of international contemporary art, as well as the Aachen museum landscape and the content on offer
- Working for the second-largest employer in the region with ca. 6,000 employees
- Responsibility and scope for active involvement
- Fair and respectful working conditions
- Training and continuing education for professional and personal development
- Good work-life balance
- Flexible working time models (such as, e.g., mobile work)
- Job ticket for public transportation
- Supplementary benefits to the occupational pension scheme
- Comprehensive workplace safety and health management
Provided that the position is staffed all day, it is possible to fill the post with part-time staff. The specific working times for part-time staff thus need to be determined in consultation with department management.
The selection process to fill the position consists of a preselection and then a selection process.
Employees’ pay scale classification is based on the existing qualification, at most up to EG 13 TVöD (Public Service Wage Agreement).
We are looking forward to your application with your complete and compelling application documents, including a cover letter containing your motivation for this application, a CV, letters of recommendation and proof of examinations / employment.
Please submit your application using the Online Portal.
Apply by: Oct. 15, 2023